Like its namesake this program was created to provide support to emerging playwrights. The Harold Clurman Lab Theater produces one play each season by the playwright in residence. Resident playwrights receive a modest stipend and have access to studio space, members of the Clurman Lab Theatre Company and student actors for readings and workshops. The author may also see other shows produced as curricular shows or student productions.
- Mia Chung (2012-2013 resident)
- Zayd Dohrn (2009-2010 resident)
- Anton Dudley (2011-2012 resident)
- Halley Feiffer (2012-2013 resident)
- Christina Gorman (2010-2011 resident)
- Peter Nickowitz (2008-2009 resident)
- Dennis Staroselsky (2013-2014 Playwright-in-Resident)